The Red Sox proceed to trim their roster, and made a notable demotion on Monday, optioning Bobby Dalbec to Triple-A Worcester.
Dalbec, the workforce’s on a regular basis first baseman in 2021 and most of 2022, struggled final yr and misplaced the job to Eric Hosmer, after which, Triston Casas. He was demoted to Triple-A to clear a roster spot for Casas’ debut final September, and the rookie rapidly supplanted his struggling predecessor.
Dalbec hit .304 over 18 Grapefruit League video games, although he struggled in the direction of the top of that span. The Red Sox spent the preseason utilizing him all around the infield to see if he may deal with a bench function. Ultimately, they appear to be selecting Yu Chang, as a substitute.
Chang hasn’t been an on a regular basis participant the way in which Dalbec was within the final two seasons of his three years within the majors, however he additionally didn’t strike out 274 occasions in 250 video games between 2021-22, and affords extra defensive upside than Dalbec. A flexible infielder, Chang arrived at camp late final week, after being named MVP of Pool A within the World Baseball Classic.
“It stings,” Dalbec instructed reporters on Monday.
He’ll spend time all around the infield in Triple-A.
Other roster choices
Jorge Alfaro was additionally reassigned to the minor leagues on Monday.
The veteran catcher had a clause in his contract that gave him the best to choose out after a sure level in spring coaching to attempt to latch on with one other membership, however he selected to take a spot in Triple-A, as a substitute.
Raimel Tapia additionally has a minor-league contract with a clause that allows him to choose out if he isn’t added to the 40-man roster earlier than Opening Day. On Monday, he instructed reporters that his agent is exploring alternatives with different groups.
Tapia and Jarren Duran are competing for the fifth outfield spot, and the previous has definitely made a powerful offensive case for the job. He has a .963 OPS over 16 video games, and instructed reporters, “This is for me, the best spring training I’ve had in my career. I’ve showed them a lot.”
Due to enjoying with Team Mexico within the WBC, Duran has solely appeared in seven video games this spring, however is hitting .357 over that small pattern. Unlike Tapia, Duran has minor league choices left and is already on the 40-man roster, so selecting him wouldn’t require clearing a spot.
Ted (Lasso) discuss
Tanner Houck isn’t apprehensive about his tough preseason.
After permitting six earned runs, together with three homers, on 5 hits, strolling two, and putting out 4 over three innings in Monday’s 6-1 loss to the Atlanta Braves, the 26-year-old righty referenced Ted Lasso when speaking to reporters about his struggles.
“In this game, you kind of have to have the mind of a goldfish in Ted Lasso terms if anyone knows that [reference],” he instructed Ian Browne of MLB.com. “But yeah, it’s part of the game. I’ve got an outing six days from now and I can only worry about that.”
The Red Sox spent the offseason overhauling the bullpen, however it appears like they’re not completed.
Alex Cora instructed reporters that whether or not through waiver, commerce, or free company, the Red Sox are attempting to make strikes.
- The WooSox are unveiling a brand new organ at Polar Park, and Josh Kantor, who’s celebrating his twentieth anniversary as Fenway Park organist, can be in Worcester to open the pre-game ceremonies for Triple-A Opening Day on Friday. He’ll additionally carry out “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” throughout the Seventh-inning stretch.
- Friday night time’s season opener will conclude with a fireworks present, as is customary of each WooSox Friday night time house sport.
- According to ticket app Gametime, the median ticket worth for Thursday’s Red Sox house opener is $211, the fourth-highest value of any MLB workforce’s first house sport this season. Only the Yankees ($371), Dodgers ($367), and Mets ($308.50) value extra. The Marlins have the most cost effective entry within the sport, a median fare of $47.50.
- The Orioles granted Franchy Cordero his launch on Monday, designated RHP Andrew Politi for project. He was a Rule 5 choose from the Red Sox, and if he clears waivers, he’ll be supplied again to them.
- Jackie Bradley Jr. made the Kansas City Royals’ Opening Day roster.