It was an evening of glitz and glamour, with the celebrities descending on the Royal Festival Hall for the largest evening within the UK tv calendar.
Oscar-winning actress Kate Winslet picked up an award for greatest main actress whereas Ben Whishaw took the gong for main actor for his efficiency because the under-pressure physician in This Is Going to Hurt.
The evening was not with out its surprises although, with long-running drama Casualty beating EastEnders, Emmerdale and final yr’s winner Coronation Street for greatest cleaning soap and persevering with drama.
And little one actor Lenny Rush, 14, from Daisy May Cooper’s darkish comedy Am I Being Unreasonable? additionally gained the award for greatest male efficiency in a comedy programme – beating the likes of Daniel Radcliffe, Jon Pointing and Matt Berry.
Meanwhile, The Masked Singer additionally fought off competitors from Ant And Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway and Strictly Come Dancing to win greatest leisure programme.
During the evening, Sir Mo Farah, who gained a BAFTA award for his BBC One documentary The Real Mo Farah, devoted his documentary to “children who are being trafficked”.
Collecting the prize on the occasion, the four-time Olympic champion stated he hoped his story confirmed the “kids who have no say at all” that “they are not alone”.
He stated: “The kids have no say at all, they are just kids and no child should ever go through what I did, I hope my story shows they aren’t alone, we are in it together.”
The award present additionally noticed the musical drama Mood, which tells the story of a budding singer attempting to make it within the trade, take the award for greatest mini-series.
Click to subscribe to Backstage wherever you get your podcasts
Creator and author Nicole Lecky thanked the ladies who entrusted her with their tales and devoted her award to her mom who handed away when she was 19 years previous.
“It was such an uphill battle in life,” she stated.
“For me to be stood here, I hope it inspires others who have been through something that is insurmountable.”
Also selecting up the award for greatest characteristic present was Joe Lycett Vs Beckham: Got Your Back at Xmas which noticed the comic lock horns with the previous footballer final yr to spotlight the true value of the Qatar World Cup.
God Of War Ragnarok sweeps BAFTA Games Awards
All Quiet On The Western Front breaks BAFTA information
While Lycett was not current to select up his award, a member of his manufacturing workforce learn an announcement from the comic on stage during which he thanked Channel 4 for its assist and devoted the award to the “people still being oppressed in Qatar”.
Here is a full rundown of the winners
- Female efficiency in a comedy programme: Siobhan McSweeney – Derry Girls
- Reality and constructed factual: The Traitors
- Short kind programme: How To Be A Person
- Specialist factual: Russia 1985-1999: Traumazone
- Daytime: The Repair Shop: A Royal Visit
- Sports protection: Uefa Women’s Euro 2022
- Male efficiency in a comedy programme: Lenny Rush – Am I Being Unreasonable?
- Entertainment Programme: The Masked Singer
- Supporting actress: Anne-Marie Duff – Bad Sisters
- Current affairs: Children Of The Taliban
- News protection: Channel 4 News: Live In Kyiv
- Single drama: I Am Ruth
- Mini-series: Mood
- International: Dahmer-Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story
- Feature: Joe Lycett vs Beckham: Got Tour Back At Xmas
- Drama collection: Bad Sisters
- Factual collection: Libby, Are You Home Yet?
- Single documentary: The Real Mo Farah
- Comedy leisure programme: Friday Night Live
- Soap and persevering with drama: Casualty
- Live occasion: Platinum Jubilee – Party At The Palace
- Entertainment efficiency: Claudia Winkleman – The Traitors
- Special awards: David Olusoga
- P&O Cruises Memorable second: Platinum Jubilee – Party At The Palace Paddington Meets The Queen
- Supporting actor: Adeel Akhtar – Sherwood
- Leading actor: Ben Whishaw – This Is Going To Hurt
- Leading actress: Kate Winslet – I Am Ruth
- Scripted comedy: Derry Girls
The ceremony additionally noticed actress Siobhan McSweeney win greatest feminine efficiency in a comedy programme for her position as headteacher Sister Michael within the hit comedy Derry Girls.
In her humorous speech she stated: “To the people in Derry, thank you taking me into your hearts and your living rooms.”
She additionally hit out at leaders in Dublin, Stormont and Westminster, including: “In the words of my beloved Sister Michael, ‘it’s time they started to wise up’.”
Other poignant speeches got here from Winslet who gained the very best actress award for her efficiency in Channel 4’s drama I Am Ruth, which sees the actress witness her real-life daughter Mia Threapleton retreat into herself as a result of pressures of social media.
In an emotional speech, Winslet stated: “If I could break it in half, I would give the other half to my daughter, we did this together, kiddo.”
The actress additionally stated that “small British television dramas can be mighty” and psychological well being tales similar to this one “need to be heard”.
It was the second look from Winslet who joined the workforce of I Am Ruth on stage earlier within the evening as they accepted the BAFTA TV award for single drama.