Nowadays the fraud related to card skimming and cloning is in full swing. These methods need to be understood to avoid any kind of Credit / Debit Card fraud.
Credit/ Debit Card
Nowadays, instead of cash, the practice of online and card payment is in place. People pay through direct card to avoid the hassle and time of withdrawing money from banks. Instead of cash, credit cards and debit cards are present in people’s pockets. But with the increase in the card payment method, the fraud associated with the card is also increasing.
It is read in the newspaper on the day that so-and-so took money out of the ATM machine and after some time the remaining money from his account also disappeared. Despite that the man followed every rule with great care. Then where did the mistake happen? Actually, it is not a mistake but the man became a victim of fraud. Nowadays the fraud related to card skimming and cloning is in full swing. Both these methods are related to the fraud being done through the card. To avoid any kind of fraud, these methods need to be understood.
Card skimming Such frauds are often at the time of card swapping. Clever types of shopkeepers install key-loggers in the system attached to the swap machine. In such a situation, when the user swaps the card to pay the bill, his password and card related information like CVV number and expiry date are saved in the key-logger. Later these details of the user are used for online transactions and money is blown out of his account.
Card Cloning Card cloning means duplicate cards. Sometimes during swiping a debit card, all the data on the magnetic strip of the card gets fed to another computer or laptop. All this happens due to the ‘schemer device’ being installed in the card machine. After this, a copy of the clone card ie copy is printed through the printer, which is almost like an original card.
How is the misuse of card details
Hackers buy payment card details in bulk. After this, they target the users one by one, and if the hacking formula works properly, they blow money out of the user’s account. Although the source of where these data is taken is not known, but according to preliminary information, most card details are collected from the scheming device secretly installed in ATMs and swap machines.
What is a skimming device?
Some vicious shoppers use key-loggers on computers connected to the swap machine. Key logger is the software to store data. After this, when a customer makes payment using these machines, their card details and password are saved on the key-logger software. This whole process is called skimming.
There is danger in ATM machine
Cases related to card skimming and cloning have come up not only for card swapping but also for withdrawing money from ATMs. Small schemer devices or thin film are installed in ATM machines which copy all the data of the card. The leftovers do hidden cameras around ATMs. Password details entered by the user are captured in the camera. One thing and banks have no hand in this work, the whole act is for fraudsters.
Try these tips to avoid debit-credit card fraud
- Many times people get fake phone calls, the person in front tells himself to be a bank manager, talks about keeping your account secure and asks for your card PIN in return. In such a situation, do not share your PIN details by mistake and report the phone call immediately.
- Do not give your debit / credit card to anyone even by mistake, no matter how real it may be. Many people also write passwords on the card, which makes the work of thieves even easier. Apart from this, keep the phone number linked to your bank in use and keep updating.
- Sometimes an ATM machine has a skimmer device so that the card data can be copied. Before withdrawing money, check your hand by swapping near the swapping area to see if there are any skimmers, and stop if you see anything. Also, test by pressing one corner of the keypad, if there is a skimmer in the keypad, then one end of it will come out.
- Nowadays there are many phishing websites coming out which claim to sell goods at low prices. Often people fall prey to the loot being done through these websites. Therefore, before going to any new website, search it once on Google, and choose the option of cash on delivery for payment on these websites.
- In places like hotels, petrol pumps, shops, card cloning matters take hold, so take care. Apart from this, some clever shoppers put increased amounts in the machine instead of actuals, and the user accidentally pays more money. Make payment in front of you while giving the card for swapping, and check the amount.
- Paying by credit card while doing international online shopping, only card number, expiry date and CVV number are required, shopping can also be done easily without a password or OTP. In such a situation, while paying bill through credit card at any shop, keep the card so that no one can see your CVV number.
What to do if you are a victim of fraud
Now it comes that if you accidentally fall prey to such a fraud, what to do? There is a number for this 9212500888. To register a complaint, type ‘Problem’ on the phone and send it to this number. Also get your debit card blocked. It is also worth noting that the complaint should be filed within three days (working).
read this also- From June 1, there will be a charge for this service of Google, you will have to pay so much money every month.
Also read- Want to use WhatsApp account even after missing the phone? Know here what is the way