The current corona epidemic is one of the biggest health crises of our time, which affected us physically and emotionally since the beginning of this year. Conditions such as being locked in our own homes affected our regular activities, such as eating habits, sleep, bedtime, lifestyle and other physical functioning. The level of stress among women in lockdown due to coronavirus was also high. Due to this extreme increase in pain and stress, the problem of PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome), a hormonal disorder in women started increasing. In this regard, Dr. Kshitiz Murdia, IVF and Infertility Expert of Indira IVF gave much important information.
PCOS is a common problem in women of maternal age. In women, this condition disrupts the hormonal balance by increasing the production level of male hormones (androgens), which causes delays or irregularities in periods. As such, the addition of stress to this unprecedented effect may create pre-existing or new conditions among women that affect fertility in the future.
This causes PCOS follicles with immature eggs, which form cysts. They grow inside the ovary and do not mature. Failure to produce mature eggs can lead to problems such as infertility, affecting ovulation.
These social organizations are doing better work for empowering women and girls in India
Reason For PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome)
Although there is no specific reason for PCOS, for the last few years, the doctors have mainly given some reasons for this.
- Family history
If a family member has PCOS problem, then its chances increase by 50 percent.
- Insulin resistance
Insulin resistance is common in 40 percent of women suffering from PCOS. The body produces extra insulin to break down sugars, resulting in increased testosterone levels, which inhibits the growth of follicles.
PCOS is also often held responsible for a person’s lifestyle. Excessive obesity and body mass index lead to insulin resistance and hormonal imbalance.
Keeping these reasons in mind, necessary measures should be taken to ensure that PCOS stays away from them. If anyone sees such symptoms, then seek medical advice.
IMumz: IIT-BHU Alumni Created App for Pregnant Women – Innovation
- Period problems, such as irregular menstrual cycle, abnormal bleeding or spotting or periods during menstruation
- Baldness, thinning of hair or loss of head hair compared to normal growth of hair on other parts of the body
- More miscarriages
- Experiencing depression
- Dark Skin Patch
- Mood changes and problems in pregnancy
- Other health problems, such as high blood pressure, diabetes and increased cholesterol levels.
Because PCOS impedes fertility, many women with PCOS face challenges while pregnant. But it is possible to conceive with appropriate lifestyle changes, treatment or IVF options.
Important things related to the health and well-being of women
Treatment For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Monitoring the menstrual cycle and tracking ovulation patterns…
- Construct charts to track ovulation with a test kit during basic body temperature monitoring.
- If an irregularity is observed, it may reduce the likelihood of ovulation, resulting in a lower chance of pregnancy. This tracking needs to be done for at least six months so that the doctor can advise for the right treatment.
- Maintain an appropriate body mass index (BMI)…
- Obesity is a major concern in this. For this, a balanced diet and exercise are very important. A healthy lifestyle will help balance the disrupted hormones and pave the way for a healthy pregnancy. Regular exercise will also help the body to get vitamin D levels.
Eat healthy to be healthy…
A nutritious balanced diet helps in keeping the body healthy. PCOS affects insulin in the body, so it is important to have a proper diet rich in fibre and protein. Low chromium and magnesium levels in the body can cause infertility, so it is important to ensure the intake of these two important minerals. Stay away from the intake of sugar and processed foods to maintain hormone levels in the body.
Lifestyle: More than 4 million physically active people beat death every year – The Lancet Global Health Report
In-vitro fertilization (IVF)
Since PCOS affects the production of egg cells and ovulation in the body, it can cause problems in getting pregnant. If the condition does not improve with medication, doctors recommend alternative methods like IVF for conception.
It is necessary to maintain the same level of care before and after conception, as PCOS can increase the likelihood of miscarriage. In such a situation, prescribed medicines should be continued after conception to ensure a healthy pregnancy and childbirth by the advice of doctors.
The month of September has been celebrated as PCOS Awareness Month. Almost four out of every five women in India suffer from this problem. In such a situation, it is important to discuss it and spread awareness. Experts expressed their concerns over the increasing cases of PCOS during COVID-19. It has also predicted worsening of the already ongoing PCOS cases. In fact, with adopting healthy life choices, it is possible to not only live a full life with PCOS, but also to conceive and have a healthy pregnancy.
Know what your effect will be on your planetary constellation, business and health
– Usha Gupta