Shopping in supermarket became the cause of death! Exit gate closed after massive fire, 396 people were burnt to death

Shopping in supermarket became the cause of death! Exit gate closed after massive fire, 396 people were burnt to death

On this day: On August 1, 2004, a massive fire broke out at the Ycuá Bolaños supermarket in Asuncion. 396 people died in this accident.

Smoke emanating from the supermarket fire (File Photo)

Supermarkets exist for shopping in countries around the world, where people reach to buy their everyday things. These supermarkets are equipped with all kinds of facilities to make them safe for the people. But what if someone goes to the supermarket for shopping, but does not come back alive. Actually, one such incident came to light in Paraguay on this day, when a huge fire broke out in a supermarket located in Asunción, the capital of the country. 396 people died in this incident.

On August 1, 2004, a massive fire broke out at the Ycuá Bolaños supermarket in Asuncion. The thing to note here is that in case of fire, the exit gate is usually opened, so that people can get out safely. But after the fire in this supermarket, the exit gate itself was closed. The reason behind this was to prevent people from stealing goods. On the other hand, while supermarkets around the world are safe, this building lacked adequate fire protection systems. The president of the supermarket company as well as various employees were later sentenced to prison for their actions during the fire.

How did the fire in the supermarket?

On August 1, 2004, there were two explosions on the first floor, after which a fire broke out. This fire kept burning for seven hours, after hard work, the fire department brought the fire under control. After the incident, it was found that 396 people have died due to burns. In addition, more than 500 people have been injured. The cause of the fire was told that there was a bad barbecue chimney, which leaked hot flammable gases into the roof. Because of this the fire started.

More attention was given to supermarket goods than life

Fire survivors and volunteer firefighters alleged that during the time the fire broke out, the doors inside the complex were locked at the instructions of supermarket owners Juan Pio Paiva and his son Victor Daniel. Because of this people got trapped inside the blazing complex. This was done so that people could not run away with the goods without paying. However, the management of the supermarket vehemently denied these allegations. At the same time, Paiva, his son and the security guard surrendered before the police and charges were framed against them.

Also read: Language problem with air traffic control, plane collided with a steep cliff due to negligence of ‘angry’ pilot, 113 people died

.

realistic reality mobile new
Default image
Shehnaz
Shehnaz is a Corporate Communications Expert by profession and writer by Passion. She has experience of many years in the same. Her educational background in Mass communication has given her a broad base from which to approach many topics. She enjoys writing about Public relations, Corporate communications, travel, entrepreneurship, insurance, and finance among others.
Articles: 3705