There are many apps available on Google Play Store and Apple App Store. Most of these apps are also those that contain malware programs or viruses. Although Apple’s app ecosystem is considered secure due to its strict ‘developers’ verification process, it still has fake apps.
With the increase in the number of mobile users, miscreants have made these platforms easy means to mislead people. This issue has become even more serious with the recent fake investment app scam. More than Rs 150 crores were cheated from more than 5 lakh Indians in this scam. According to reports, several finance investment plans were put forward, assuring people that they would get high returns on the money they had invested.
The Delhi Police, attached to the cyber cell, managed to trace the running of the syndicate and revealed that these malicious apps were run by Chinese citizens using the Multilevel Marketing (MLM) model for fraud. Cyber Crime Cell (CyPAD) Deputy Commissioner of Police Anyesh Roy told (via ANI report) that some of these apps were listed on Google Play Store. Cross-messaging platforms were taken as the main source for randomly contacting people and getting details. Thankfully, the cyber criminals involved in the fake app online scam have been arrested. But the question arises whether the security services provided by the tech giants should be trusted?
Fake apps mimic valid apps, so it becomes difficult to differentiate them. But to protect yourself from falling prey to such malicious attacks, you can follow some easy methods that can help you identify fake apps on iOS and Android platforms. Know what you can do.
How to Identify Fake Apps on Google Play Store and Apple App Store…
- Check the name of the app and the developer who published the app on the App Store.
- While searching for apps you may find many apps with similar names, try to find spelling mistakes in name and description.
- Check the reviews, ratings and number of downloads for the apps you want to download in the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Check the publish date of the app. An original app usually shows the ‘updated’ date.
- You can also view screenshots of an app. For example, funny words and photos will let you know whether to trust the app or not.
- Another important thing is what permissions the app is asking from you. If the app is asking to access audio and more, it’s better to avoid giving permissions.
- You can visit the store website in the browser and look for the option ‘Get Our App’, which will take you to the respective app where you will be able to download the Authorize App.
Also read- Do you also use public WiFi? Know these tips and tricks to avoid hackers
Also read- Discount of Rs 8,000 on iPhone 12 Mini, know how beneficial this deal is