Observations and different notes of curiosity from Friday evening’s 107-106 loss to the Washington Wizards:
– Understand, it was simply two weeks in the past that Heat coach Erik Spoelstra was talking about the opportunity of sending Nikola Jovic to the G League for enjoying time and seasoning.
– And then alternative arrived within the type of accidents to others.
– Now, there’s little doubt that at 19, and but to graduate highschool, the No. 27 choose in June’s NBA draft belongs.
– Friday, with nearly anyone and everyone sidelined, there was little choice however to cede time to Jovic as a starter.
– (Who mentioned on the morning shootaround that he nonetheless has but to get round to that pesky on-line highschool last wanted to graduate.)
– And for the second consecutive recreation within the absence of Bam Adebayo, Jovic produced.
– Working his technique to the foul line like a veteran.
– But if a rotation position, then the place?
– Consider that even with Jovic on the court docket, coach Spoelstra additionally had Orlando Robinson on the market alongside at occasions.
– And, in the long run, Robinson was the selection as nearer due to his bulk.
– So if Jovic just isn’t a middle, can he take the rotation position of Dewayne Dedmon?
– Or is Dedmon’s muscle wanted?
– One choice might be Duncan Robinson’s minutes, as restricted as they’ve been.
– No matter, Sioux Falls might have to attend.
– With it prone to stay South Florida as an alternative of South Dakota.
– The child stuff has been spectacular and inspiring this week.
– Of yet one more begin for Jovic, Spoelstra mentioned pregame, “He picks up things quickly and he also has pride in what he does. He wants to do it right. He wants to be reliable for his team.”
– So, to recap, for the Heat there was no Adebayo, Dedmon, Duncan Robinson, Jimmy Butler, Tyler Herro, Gabe Vincent, Victor Oladipo or Omer Yurtseven.
– All coping with accidents.
– And no Udonis Haslem on account of a private matter.
– So . . . the Heat rolled out a beginning lineup of Jovic, Caleb Martin, Haywood Highsmith, Max Strus and Kyle Lowry.
– Highsmith, who throughout coaching camp had been thought of a rotation prospect, had not appeared in eight of the earlier 10 video games, largely restricted to mop-up obligation.
– That left two-way contract gamers Jamal Cain and Orlando Robinson as the one out there reserves.
– Strus’ third 3-point try moved him previous Kendrick Nunn for twentieth on the Heat all-time record.
– With restricted choices, the Heat opened in zone protection.
– Although sidelined with knee swelling, Vincent was listed as energetic and was in uniform so the Heat may meet the league minimal of eight in uniform.
– Vincent exacerbated the swelling on the morning shootaround.
– “After last game, his knee was a little bit sore,” Spoelstra mentioned. “I’m sure it’s just the uptick in minutes and mode and everything. And that’s where you have to treat each player’s circumstance separately.”
– It was Vincent’s first absence of the season, having performed 30 or extra minutes in 4 of the earlier 5 video games.
– Spoelstra mentioned it was principally a matter of defending Vincent towards himself.
– “He’s got that kind of feeling, he’s seeing other guys out, ‘Hey, I have to go play,’ ” Spoelstra said. “But we want to be responsible to each player. We think it’s the best decision for him not to go tonight.”
– Also sidelined as a result of morning shootaround was Duncan Robinson, who was listed with a sprained proper hand after catching it in a uniform.
– “It’s just one of those freakish things,” Spoelstra mentioned. “He got his finger caught in a jersey and we’ll just continue to treat him and see how he feels.”
– Spoelstra mentioned sitting out Adebayo for a second consecutive recreation with a knee bruise merely was a matter of prudence, even with Orlando Robinson the one out there middle.
– “Bam really wants to get out there,” Spoelstra mentioned, “but we have to be responsible.”
– Unlike final season, when the Heat had been ready so as to add outdoors gamers amid COVID with out roster, luxury-tax or salary-cap affect, that’s not the case this season.
– So it wasn’t as if the Heat may seize a participant from Washington’s G League affiliate, as they did final 12 months from San Antonio’s G League workforce in Austin, Texas.
– Spoelstra, after all, went in as one would anticipate of any coach.
– “Nobody stops for you,” he mentioned. “The league doesn’t stop. The league doesn’t feel sorry for you.”
– Dedmon formally was listed as out on account of sickness, however has been coping with an ongoing foot subject.
– Oladipo, who’s coping with knee ache, but to play this season, once more shot pregame.
– Spoelstra additionally was requested pregame about Yurtseven, who underwent ankle surgical procedure this week.
– “The outlook looks great for him, in terms of he’ll be available at some point this season,” Spoelstra mentioned.
– Asked when Yurtseven, who is anticipated to overlook at the least three months, is likely to be again, Spoelstra mentioned, “We’ll get to that point when he’s available.”
– Of the roster shortfall, Strus mentioned on the morning shootaround, “This is where you can make a name for yourself, make a career for yourself. Opportunities like this can open doors. So if it’s not for us, there are 29 other teams watching. If I was a young guy on a two-way or just haven’t played that much, I would look at this as a great opportunity.”