Black Fungus: Amidst the Corona crisis, Mucor Mycosis (Black Fungus) is also being seen in the country. Black fungus has spread in 18 states in the country so far. The Health Minister said that a total of 5424 cases of black fungus have been reported across the country so far. Of these, 4556 patients were those who had COVID-19 infection earlier and 55 percent of the patients had diabetes. Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan chaired the 27th meeting of the Group of Ministers, during which he gave information on the condition of black fungus across the country.
The Health Minister said that till Monday morning, 5,424 cases of black fungus have been registered in 18 states. The maximum number of cases were 2,165 in Gujarat, 1,188 in Maharashtra, 663 in Uttar Pradesh, 519 in Madhya Pradesh, 339 in Haryana, 248 in Andhra Pradesh. He said that the cases of corona have reduced in the country but there are many states where the positive rate is still high. During the meeting, Harshvardhan said in reference to Corona that positivity in Karnataka, Kerala, Puducherry, Meghalaya, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, Odisha, Rajasthan, Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Goa, Manipur, Sikkim and Lakshadweep Rate is high.
Many states declare Black Fungus an epidemic.
Recently, the central government had urged the states to declare black fungus as an epidemic and submit the information of each case to the Union Health Ministry. On Friday, the Central Government has advised all states and union territories to review their preparedness to prevent fungal infections and treatment and hygiene in hospitals, citing the spread of mucor mycosis as a cause for concern.
Union Health Secretary Rajesh Bhushan wrote a letter to the chief secretaries of all states and administrators of union territories urging them to ensure concrete methods of infection control and prevention in COVID-19 hospitals and other health establishments.
What is the reason for black fungus?
Please tell that mucor mycosis is a fungal infection. It affects those whose immune system is weakened due to some disease or its treatment. This fungus is present in the air and infects such people. Dr. Shweta Budayal, Senior Consultant Endocrinologist at Fortis Hospital in Mulund, told the Indian Express that black fungus usually affects the sinuses, brain and lungs. Although according to Budayal, oral cavity or black fungus of the brain is most likely to be affected, but in many cases it can affect other parts of the body as well.
These symptoms can be caused by black fungus
- Nasal congestion or bleeding from the nose or something black.
- Pain in cheek bones, face pain, numbness or swelling on one side.
- Blackening of the upper surface of the nose.
- Loose teeth
- Eye pain, blurred or double vision. Swelling around the eyes.
- Thrombosis, necrotic lesions
- Chest pain or difficulty in breathing.
Cases of black fungus are increasing due to these reasons
- According to Dr. Shweta, steroids are being used in the treatment of corona, due to which the level of sugar is increasing. The possibility of infection of black fungus increases if the sugar level increases and there is no physical activity.
- The use of steroids reduces the body’s immunity, causing the body’s immune system to function effectively against black fungus.
- According to Dr. V Mohan, Chief Consultant and Chairman of Diabetes Specialties Center, Chennai, besides diabetes, cases of black fungus are also increasing due to hygiene and contaminated equipment.
- Dr. Mohan says that corona cases are coming up so much that hygiene is not being given much attention in hospitals. Due to this, there is a possibility of fungus accumulating on the equipment.