Army Day 2021: Every year January 15 is celebrated as Army Day. On this day, military parades are taken out and military power is displayed. On the occasion of Army Day, the valor, courage, bravery and martyrdom of the Indian Army are remembered. On this occasion, Chief of Army Staff General MM Narwane wished all the rank personnel in the Indian Army. In his message, he has mentioned the role of the army in providing timely help to the countrymen and friendly countries in fighting the Corona epidemic. On this occasion, he paid tribute to the brave martyred soldiers for their duties. President Ram Nath Kovind and Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted and heartily congratulated Army Day.
General Manoj Mukund Narwane # Chief of Army Staff #COAS #IndianArmy Wishing all soldiers, civilian personnel, ex-servicemen and their families on the 73rd Army Day. # Strongly able pic.twitter.com/PElRTOwQaM
— ADG PI – INDIAN ARMY (@adgpi) January 15, 2021
Highlights of Army Day
- Every year on 15 January, Army Day is celebrated in honor of Field Marshal KM Cariappa. In 1949, on this day i.e. on 15 January 1949, General Cariappa was appointed as the Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army.
- General Cariappa Azad was the first Indian to be appointed to the post of Commander-in-Chief in India. Just before this General Francis Bachar was in this position and he was the last British Commander-in-Chief of India.
- Before the partition of the country, former Pakistan Army Chief and President General Ayub Khan also worked under the leadership of Cariappa.
- At the time of Partition, General Cariappa took command of the Indian Army in the war between India and Pakistan in 1947. At that time, the Pakistani army attacked Kashmir in the guise of Kabbalis.
- After retiring in 1953, the Government of India had appointed Cariappa as High Commissioner in Australia and New Zealand and served till 1956. He used his experience in restructuring the armies of many countries.
- General Cariappa was the first officer in the Indian Army to be given the rank of Field Marshal. The Government of India gave him the rank of Field Marshal in 1986. It is a five-star general officer rank and Indian history so far has been given to only two officers, Cariappa and Sam Manekshaw.
- At the time of independence, there were about 2 lakh soldiers in the Indian Army. Today, there are about 12.37 lakh active soldiers in the Indian Army while there are 9.36 lakh reserved soldiers.
- At the global level, the Indian Army is among the five most powerful armies in the world. In terms of military power, India comes in fourth place after America, Russia and China.
- Every year on the occasion of Army Day, there is a parade of soldiers and different regiments and tableaux come out. Its main parade takes place at the Cariappa Parade Ground in Delhi Cantonment.