Strawberries are also tasty in food and strawberry flavor is also given in many ice creams. Strawberry fruit is very soft and very tasty. It is a fruit grown in cold area, but today it can be planted in any area with the help of many technical facilities. Strawberry cultivation has been included in profitable fields today. This is a farming done with and without the help of Polly House. Today, in this article, we will teach you how to cultivate strawberries, how much it can cost and how to earn profit from it. That is, we are going to include all the information related to strawberry cultivation in this article. So that you do not have any kind of confusions. Let’s read what is strawberry and how to cultivate it –
Information about strawberries
Before knowing about strawberry cultivation, we need to know how many varieties are present and what is the best variety. If we talk about the varieties of strawberries, 600 species have been identified so far. But the species used mainly for farming are few. Whom we are talking about.
Species of strawberry
Here we are going to talk about 4 main species of strawberries, this species you can use in the fields. If you are thinking about cultivating strawberries, then you can plant any one of these species in your field. These species are as follows –
- Camrose – It is a variety made in California, it is one of the very quick-growing strawberry species. Its fruits are very solid and very good in taste. Plants of this species live for a long time.
- Oso Grand – It is also a variety made in California, its fruits are quite large but these fruits do not serve for long. But if you want more fruit in a short time, then you can plant this type of strawberry plant.
- Ophra – It is a variety made in Israel, you can cultivate it ahead of time, that is, it is an early cultivating variety. Its fruits and aroma are fantastic.
- Chandler – If you want very sweet and good fruit, then find strawberry plants of this species. These plants are resistant to disease and have long lasting fruit bearing plants. Plants of this species are the most grown in California.
How to cultivate strawberries in India
Strawberries are cultivated mainly in cold areas like Himachal. But today time and technology has changed a lot, now you can cultivate it in any area of India. Yes, to cultivate strawberries, you have to work hard and take care of many things. Otherwise, this business can become risky for you. Next we are going to tell you what we have to do to cultivate strawberries.
Get farm soil tested
To cultivate strawberries, it is best to have your farm soil tested, because we should know whether the plants we are bringing for planting will be planted in your field or not. For this, you will have to contact the soil testers and get the soil of your field-tested. It is very important to have a temperature of 18 to 30 for cultivating strawberries.
Soils with pH 5.0 to PH 6.5 are considered good for the cultivation of strawberries, if the soil of your farm completes its test, then you can easily grow strawberries. With this, if the field has loamy loam soil, then the yield of strawberries in your field will double.
How much does strawberry farming cost and how much is the profit
If we talk about how much it will cost to grow strawberries, then in all, an acre can cost you three to four lakh rupees. It also includes plant rates, irrigation, poly houses and pesticides. If you cultivate it in one acre, you can get a yield of up to 15 lakh rupees from it.
Where can I buy strawberry plants?
You can easily find strawberry plants in India in Himachal, Uttarakhand and Punjab.
When should we plant strawberries?
If you want to cultivate strawberries, then you can plant strawberry plants in your field from September 10 to October 15. This is the perfect time to plant strawberries.
Preparation in the field before planting strawberry plant
Before planting strawberry plants in the field, you have to prepare your farm in this way –
- In the first week of September, plowing should be done well three times in the field.
- If there is an acre of field, then 75 tonnes of good rotten manure should be added to it.
- Potash and phosphorus can be mixed according to the soil.
What should be the area in the field for the cultivation of strawberries
- Should be raised 25 – 30 centimeters high from the ground.
- Their width should be 100 to 130 cm.
- There should be a gap of 40 to 60 centimeters between the two beds.
- Proper place should be made for installing drip irrigation equipment.
How to irrigate strawberries
If you have planted strawberry plants and you are not irrigating them properly then you may have to face trouble. Therefore, you should irrigate the right method of irrigation in this way –
- Irrigation should be done immediately after planting the plant.
- Irrigation should be done from time to time keeping in mind the moisture.
- When strawberry fruits start coming, then irrigate with the help of micro-fountains.
- When the fruit comes, use the drip irrigation method.
How to protect strawberry plants from diseases
Strawberries can cause many diseases like – leaf flattening, crispy mildew, leaf blight and rot. Therefore, after identifying the disease correctly, spray the pesticide with the advice of agricultural scientist.
How to protect strawberry plants from winter if there is no polly house
As we have mentioned above, strawberries can also be cultivated without polly house and without polly house. If the Polly House is already built then there is little chance of the plants getting cold i.e. frost. But if it is not there, then to avoid frost, you should use a plastic low tunnel. The plastic should be transparent and should be 100 to 200 microns.
How much does the government help on strawberry cultivation
As today, the Indian government is encouraging farmers to take forward agriculture. If you cultivate strawberries, you can get information by going to the agriculture department of your state. In almost all states, the government provides 40 to 60 percent of the grant. Contact the Department of Agriculture for more information.
When should you chop strawberry fruit
Strawberry plant gives fruit continuously for 6-7 months. You can get about 700 to 800 grams of strawberries from a plant in one season. Now, let’s talk about what is the right method to break it –
- You can break the fruit when the fruit starts to turn completely red.
- If you send it too far, it can be broken even before it becomes red.
- If you break the red fruit completely, it will be very good for you, but it ends very soon after becoming completely red.
- Do not break fruit together.
- The fruit stick should be cut, do not forget to touch the fruit.
How should the packing of strawberry fruit be
To keep strawberries properly, you should pack them in a plastic plate. They should also have holes to let air in them. So that the temperature can be controlled. If you are storing strawberries together, then one day you have to keep the temperature 5 ° C and one day 0 ° C.
Where and how we can sell strawberry fruit and in what price
Every year, the prices of strawberries are increasing every month, earlier they used to be sold at the rate of 200 rupees kg but now it has gone up to 600 rupees. But if you are doing farming, then you can easily sell them for up to 300 rupees.
You do not need to find buyers. As soon as the fruits start, you will also have buyers. If buyers do not come, then you can easily sell them in your local market. It is a highly sold fruit and its health benefits are also very high.
How much risk is there in strawberry farming
There is definitely risk in any business, but if I talk about how much risk is there in strawberry farming, then it depends on you how you will do this farming. If you want to do this farming at a low risk, then you can take help of the government. Because many types of insurance etc. will be given to you by the Department of Agriculture. If you will profit from this, then you can earn 12 to 15 lakhs by applying only 3 to 5 lakh rupees.
If you want to make farming your business, then you must do strawberry farming. We have given information about how this farming is done here in this article. If you want any more information related to this farming, then you can comment here. We will answer your questions soon.